Is there a God of Love?
'If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.'
Voltaire 1694 - 1778 (French Philosopher and writer)
"After many years of personal evidence and proof that life is continuous, that we survive the death of our physical body and live on in an ‘invisible’ multidimensional Universe, I
still had a deep yearning to prove the existence of a loving God. Why? I suppose, to be reassured that some superior intelligence of infinite love and wisdom was really in charge of the
Universe, rather than humanity being a freak accident of Nature on a doomed planet and victims of our self-created conflicts, greed, ignorance and stupidity!
I had a good job, a very loving family, a large circle of marvellous friends,
a nice house with all the material comforts to go with it and really wanted for nothing, but something inside me wouldn’t let me rest until I had some answers. It was part of an inner desire to know if life had a meaning and human suffering a purpose. I reckoned that if life after death was fact, not fiction, then it must be for a very good reason, and that there must be more to life than meets the eye.
At the time, I had no idea of how or where I was going to get my evidence of God, and why should I succeed when millions have failed? I decided that the best thing to do was just go along with life and let things happen. If I were meant to know these things then life would show me. Experience dictated that my guiding lights should always be love and compassion, as the pathway to a loving God would not be where there was conflict.
Killing for God
• ‘Thus saith the Lord of hosts [to King Saul]….now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and women, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.’ (1 Samuel 15: 2-3)
• ‘Happy shall be he that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.’ (Psalm 137:9)
• ‘Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth ….let them be as cut in pieces.’ (Psalm 58:6)
• ‘Let his days be few ….Let his children be fatherless and his wife a widow. Let his children be continually vagabonds and beg; let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.’ (Psalm 109:8)
• ‘Thus saith the Lord God of Israel …. slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.’ (Exodus 32:27)
• ‘And Joshua at that time turned back, and took Hazor ….And they smote all the souls that were therein with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying them: there was not any left to breathe: and he burnt Hazor with fire. And all the cities of those kings, and all the kings of them, did Joshua take, and smote them with the edge of the sword, and he utterly destroyed them, as Moses the servant of the Lord commanded.’ (Joshua 11:10 –12)
• ‘Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.’ (Isaiah 13:16)
• ‘When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies ..... the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies.’ (Deuteronomy 20:1 – 4)
• ‘Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare the children.’ (Isaiah 13:18)
• ‘…. thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee.’ (Deuteronomy 20:16 – 17)
Here we have examples of horrendous atrocities committed in the name of a cruel and avenging god, with rape, the wholesale mass slaughter of men, women (many pregnant), children, babies and animals, and the total destruction of their towns and villages. Today, this could be classified as terrorism with the perpetrators of such genocidal acts wanted for war crimes.
From 1482 until 1834, with God as the excuse, the Catholic Inquisition used every torture and torment imaginable against unbelievers, psychics and freethinkers. And down the centuries virtually every army claimed God was on their side, with both sides convinced they were doing 'His' will by slaughtering the infidels and blasphemers. Hence countries could be invaded and conquered with the inhabitants tortured and slaughtered in the name of God without a conscience. Even during civil wars it was amazing how many commanders brought God into the equation.
Right up to the early 20th century, hell-fire and damnation was preached from the pulpit until the very mention of ......"